The History of The Anglin Rose

Cleveland-Williams Home "The Anglin Rose" Located at 808 S. Anglin, this 4,500 Square foot home is a fine example of upper class Victorian residential architecture. This home features five bed rooms, three fireplaces, an octagonal second floor turret as well as an original stained glass keyhole window. This Beautiful home Built in 1892 for John Luther and Annie Cleveland, owners of Cleburne Cottonseed Oil Mill and Sterling & Cleveland Hardware Store. Mr. Cleveland was instrumental in bringing the railroad to Cleburne. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland were involved in the community,  participating in the Chamber of Commerce and the King's Daughters. They raised five children in this home. The home was purchased in January 1998 by Milton and Saundra Williams. And since has undergone massive restoration. The Painted Lady Victorian home has truly proved to be a labor of love and now restored to it's original grandeur it is open as The Anglin Rose Bed and Breakfast. 

 

         

                      Fire Place                                                     stained glass keyhole window

 

The History of

The Cleveland Family


In 1877 John L. Cleveland came to Texas, leaving Georgia. The first year he farmed, followed by teaching the next three years, and then began merchandizing in Cleburne, with H.C. Sterling as a partner, doing business under the firm name of Sterling & Cleveland. Mr. Cleveland subsequently sold his interest and engaged in business alone.

Mr. Cleveland owned real estate in the city as well as a hardware store and the Cleburne Cottonseed Oil Mill. In January of 1890 his hardware store carried a $6000 stock of staple and fancy groceries and farming implements, doing a business of about $50,000 yearly. This house not only is an outstanding example of Cleburne's upper class Victorian residential architecture; it's historical associations to John Cleveland makes it an extremely important remainder from the city's past.

Mr. Cleveland was marred in Hill County, in 1884, to Miss Annie Upshaw, a daughter of Captain S. C. and Atelia (Aldridge) Upshaw. The father is a native of Arkansas, a pioneer of Texas, and a prominent citizen of Hill County.

The Cleveland's had  ten children: Carmelete Attelia, twins  Kate Jordan, Annie Blake, Thomas Kelly, John Luther Jr., Clarence Aldridge, George, Little Sister (stillborn), Samuel Reese and Cora Lee. Six of the children grew to adulthood : Carmelete, Annie Blake, Thomas, John, George, and Samuel. John Luther. John and Annie  were founding members of the Methodist Church, and Mr. Cleveland was a member of the city school board.